A Few Words About Us
Foynes Aviation and Maritime Museum, Ltd. is a nonprofit charitable institution. We’re dedicated to preserving and telling the stories of:
- The pioneering days of aviation and passenger travel across the north Atlantic
- The rich maritime history of the River Shannon and the port of Foynes
- The local creation of Irish coffee
The museum maintains and develops its collection by acquiring, holding in trust, interpreting, and preserving historically significant aeronautical and nautical objects for exhibit, scholarly research, and lifelong learning programs. It inspires interest in and educates about the importance of the River Shannon to the communities living along one of Ireland’s greatest natural maritime assets.
The museum maintains and develops its maritime section encompassing the geology, trade and industry, shipping folklore, leisure, and maritime heritage of the River Shannon, its local families, and their influence on the development of Foynes.
Our efforts are guided by these goals:
- To create imaginative, engaging, and informative exhibits that introduce visitors to the many unique and remarkable stories housed in the museum
- To strengthen the museum’s role as an educational organization through exhibitions, targeted activities, and other outreach programs
- To provide a center for community activities, celebrations, and learning
- To promote greater public awareness of the museum and its core products and services
- To supply specialist services and resources to students and researchers by continually developing, documenting, and promoting our archives
Our Board Members
Brian Cullen (Chairman) | Margaret O’Shaughnessy (Company Secretary) | David Brown | P.J. McGoldrick | Plunkett Hayes | Tomas O’Caoimh | Dr Roger Downer | Dr Pat Daly | Robin Wilson | Matthew Thomas | Gerry Guihen