Admission Ticket

Open Virtual Tour


Museum: Tues to Sat (10.00am to 4pm)
Last admission 1 hour before closing
O'Regan's Restaurant: Tue to Sat (9.30 to 4pm)
**Museum closes for Winter Season on November 5th**

Email: - Tel: 00353 69 65416

Foynes Irish Coffee Centre

Foynes Irish Coffee Lounge

Here's the story of the world's most famous drink.

Irish Coffee Lounge

The Origin of Irish Coffee

Foynes and flying boats are closely connected to Irish coffee, playing a significant role in the invention of this favorite Irish treat. Of course, as with anything in Ireland, the weather played a role, too.

chef-joe-sheridan-01In 1943, Brendan O’Regan opened a restaurant and coffee shop in the Foynes terminal building. It quickly became regarded as one of the best restaurants in Ireland. Chef Joe Sheridan, originally from Castlederg, County Tyrone, had been recruited by O’Regan to run the kitchen.

Late one night in the winter of 1943, a flight left Foynes for New York. After flying for several hours in bad weather, the captain decided to return to Foynes to wait for safer conditions. A Morse code message was sent to the Foynes control tower to inform them of the return. Staff were called back in and the passengers were brought to the restaurant upon landing for food and drink.

When Joe was asked to prepare something to warm the weary passengers, he was inspired to put some good Irish whiskey in their coffee. One passenger approached the chef and thanked him for the wonderful coffee, asking if he used Brazilian coffee. Joe jokingly answered, “No, it was Irish coffee!”

A few weeks later, Chef Sheridan knocked on O’Regan’s office door. He showed O’Regan his new beverage in a stemmed glass and asked, “How about that for eye appeal?” O’Regan answered, “Genius, Chef!” And so was born Irish coffee, which continued to be served to passengers at Foynes and you can still today enjoy a world class Irish Coffee in our Irish Coffee Lounge.

Our Original Irish Coffee Recipe

More about Chef Joe Sheridan

The Story of Dr. Brendan O’Regan

Site Maintained by Little Blue Studio